Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Makings of a Great Literacy Program

Please note the student writing sample below. After being given the prompt, "I like to eat ____," my student was enthusiastic about writing a sentence that said, "I like to eat an extremely big pumpkin." Not bad for a 6-year -old ELL (English Language Learner) student! But, he got sidetracked. Had to get up and go to the bathroom (I'm pretty sure it was a #2), and when he came back, he had to hurry to finish. As you can see below, this was the result.



I wrote the word "pumpkin" in his personal dictionary for further reference.

4 comments:

Kortney said...

Oh my gosh, this is hilarious! I'm rolling on the floor laughing!

Megan said...

When are you coming home??? I want to expose my daughter to your wonderful teaching abilities!! HA HA HA I actually had to close the screen fast so Alexis didn't read that aloud and then start asking questions...!
Good Job Mrs. Hanes!

Stacy said...

Hilarious!!! Just like an emergent reader/writer! I miss those funny sentences!!!
Was Raffi involved in that lesson?

I like to eat eat eat apples and banananas - lalalalala~

Ryan and Jessica said...

Maybe this child has a problem and this was his cry for help. You should look into it. :)