Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Last Sights of the Ocean for Awhile

Several weeks ago, we took a drive out to the coast at my insistence. Despite the funky B&B we stayed at, it was a great trip, full of great food, walking on the beach, seeing the redwoods, and breathing some of that excellent coastal air.

We landed ourselves in Muir Woods National Forest during National Park week, which meant we got in for free. Yeah! If only we'd been going to Yosemite, we would have saved $20. Not that I'm complaining; I had never been to Muir Woods, and the trees did not disappoint.

Light filtering through the trees. The weather was perfect--mid 70's with a gentle breeze.


Only the fanciest of cameras can attempt to do these trees any justice. Mine cannot.

Michael, giving us a little perspective; although he might say he skews the results, as he is so huge himself. ;-)

From Muir Woods, we headed to our destination: Stinson Beach, which requires a somewhat harrowing drive along Hwy 1. The view is amazing at all times.

This is how I spent my afternoon.

What makes Stinson Beach so great is that it is a very long stretch of uninterrupted sandy beach. I wouldn't really give their accommodations or restaurants any rave reviews, but it is such a fun beach to play at, and it's not far from great hiking and views on Mount Tamalpais or a trip into San Francisco. We did neither of those things, but you can. I told Michael that all I wanted to do was chill at the ocean and stay in a place that was a short walk from the ocean. So that's what we did. And it was great.

No comments: